Kuwana Castle: Difference between revisions
(XML import) |
No edit summary |
||
(4 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown) | |||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{Castle | {{Castle | ||
|English Name= | |English Name=Kuwana Castle | ||
|Japanese Name=桑名城 | |||
|Romaji Name=Kuwana-jo | |||
|Alternate Names=Ougi Castle | |||
|Founder=Hionda Tadakatsu | |||
|Year Founded=1601 | |||
|Castle Type=Flatland | |||
|Castle Condition=No main keep but other buildings | |||
|Designations=Prefectural Historic Site | |||
|Historical Period=Edo Period | |||
|Features=turrets, water moats, stone walls, castle town | |||
|Access=Kuwana Sta. (Kansai Line); 20 min walk | |||
|Visitor Information=open any time | |||
|Time Required=30 mins | |||
|Website=http://kanko.city.kuwana.mie.jp/history/kuwanajyo/ | |||
|City=Kuwana | |||
|Prefecture=Mie Prefecture | |||
|Notes=Photos by Jcastle user [[User:RaymondW|RaymondW]]. | |||
Update by [[User:ART|ART]] (2025): | |||
The castle's inner baileys are part of the park today, surrounded by broad moats which essentially make Kuwanajō a series of islands. The honmaru (main bailey) used to be wholly surrounded by a mizubori (water moat) but is now connected to the sannomaru (third bailey) which is now occupied by a water park. In the honmaru the remains of the tenshudai (donjon platform) can be found, along with several religious structures, and the ruins of a couple of yaguradai (turret platforms). | |||
To the northeast of the honmaru is the asahimaru, now a baseball field, also now connected to the honmaru, its moat having been filled in. It's worth exploring the waterways of Kuwana. There is also a substantial amount of ishigaki (stone-piled ramparts) left lining the outer moat of the castle. | |||
The yoshinomaru is now built over with housing. Originally there were bukeyashiki (samurai residences) here housing high-ranking retainers. According to an Edo period map of the castle, one of the bukeyashiki here belonged to Hattori Hanzō. Beyond the yoshinomaru were the homes of lower ranking samurai. | |||
Edo | |||
Beyond the asahimaru there was a bailey with a race ground for horses. More bukeyashiki, probably for more middle ranking retainers, occupied space between outer moats and canals to the west of the castle, beyond which was the rest of the castle town (districts for shops, temples, &c.). | |||
The Ban'yū-yagura, located toward the northwestern limits of the citadel, is reconstructed and was originally surrounded by bukeyahsiki, occupying a defensive position between the river mouth, waterways, and the northern precincts of the castle. | |||
|History=In the Sengoku Period, three nearby castles (Higashi Castle, Nishi Castle, [[Misaki Castle (Kuwana)|Misaki Castle]]) made up what was known as the Three Castles of Kuwana. After Nobunaga conquered the area, the three castles were ruled together under both Nobunaga and then Hideyoshi. After the Battle of Sekigahara, Honda Tadakatsu was given command of Kuwana and built present day Kuwana Castle roughly on the site of the Higashi Castle. Honda spent 10 years building up a prosperous castle town and a massive castle that made use of three rivers to create moats. At it's peak, the castle had 3 three level yagura, 24 two level yagura, 24 connected yagura, 12 tamon (one level) yagura and 46 gates. It sat at a vital point overseeing the Tokaido Road and the only section of waterway along the the course. | |||
|History= | |||
In the Sengoku Period, three nearby castles (Higashi Castle, Nishi Castle, Misaki Castle) made up what was known as the Three Castles of Kuwana. After Nobunaga conquered the area, the three castles were ruled together under both Nobunaga and then Hideyoshi. After the Battle of Sekigahara, Honda Tadakatsu was given command of Kuwana and built present day Kuwana Castle roughly on the site of the Higashi Castle. Honda spent 10 years building up a prosperous castle town and a massive castle that made use of three rivers to create moats. At it's peak, the castle had 3 three level yagura, 24 two level yagura, 24 connected yagura, 12 tamon (one level) yagura and 46 gates. It sat at a vital point overseeing the Tokaido Road and the only section of waterway along the the course. | |||
<p> | <p> | ||
In 1617, Tadakatsu's son Tadamasa, the 2nd lord of Kuwana Castle, was transferred to Himeji and Matsudaira Sadashige became the new lord of Kuwana Castle. Matsudaira lords ruled over Kuwana Province from Kuwana Castle until the Meiji Resoration. After the Boshin War, the castle was dismantled and much of the stone walls were used to build the port at Yokkaichi. </p> | In 1617, Tadakatsu's son Tadamasa, the 2nd lord of Kuwana Castle, was transferred to Himeji and Matsudaira Sadashige became the new lord of Kuwana Castle. Matsudaira lords ruled over Kuwana Province from Kuwana Castle until the Meiji Resoration. After the Boshin War, the castle was dismantled and much of the stone walls were used to build the port at Yokkaichi. </p> | ||
|Year Visited=Viewer Contributed | |||
|AddedJcastle=2013 | |||
|GPSLocation=35.06463, 136.69872 | |||
|Contributor=RaymondW | |||
|Year Visited= | |||
Viewer Contributed | |||
| | |||
| | |||
35. | |||
| | |||
}} | }} |
Latest revision as of 13:34, 28 August 2025
Photos by Jcastle user RaymondW. Update by ART (2025): The castle's inner baileys are part of the park today, surrounded by broad moats which essentially make Kuwanajō a series of islands. The honmaru (main bailey) used to be wholly surrounded by a mizubori (water mo
History
In the Sengoku Period, three nearby castles (Higashi Castle, Nishi Castle, Misaki Castle) made up what was known as the Three Castles of Kuwana. After Nobunaga conquered the area, the three castles were ruled together under both Nobunaga and then Hideyoshi. After the Battle of Sekigahara, Honda Tadakatsu was given command of Kuwana and built present day Kuwana Castle roughly on the site of the Higashi Castle. Honda spent 10 years building up a prosperous castle town and a massive castle that made use of three rivers to create moats. At it's peak, the castle had 3 three level yagura, 24 two level yagura, 24 connected yagura, 12 tamon (one level) yagura and 46 gates. It sat at a vital point overseeing the Tokaido Road and the only section of waterway along the the course.
In 1617, Tadakatsu's son Tadamasa, the 2nd lord of Kuwana Castle, was transferred to Himeji and Matsudaira Sadashige became the new lord of Kuwana Castle. Matsudaira lords ruled over Kuwana Province from Kuwana Castle until the Meiji Resoration. After the Boshin War, the castle was dismantled and much of the stone walls were used to build the port at Yokkaichi.
Field Notes
Photos by Jcastle user RaymondW.
Update by ART (2025):
The castle's inner baileys are part of the park today, surrounded by broad moats which essentially make Kuwanajō a series of islands. The honmaru (main bailey) used to be wholly surrounded by a mizubori (water moat) but is now connected to the sannomaru (third bailey) which is now occupied by a water park. In the honmaru the remains of the tenshudai (donjon platform) can be found, along with several religious structures, and the ruins of a couple of yaguradai (turret platforms).
To the northeast of the honmaru is the asahimaru, now a baseball field, also now connected to the honmaru, its moat having been filled in. It's worth exploring the waterways of Kuwana. There is also a substantial amount of ishigaki (stone-piled ramparts) left lining the outer moat of the castle.
The yoshinomaru is now built over with housing. Originally there were bukeyashiki (samurai residences) here housing high-ranking retainers. According to an Edo period map of the castle, one of the bukeyashiki here belonged to Hattori Hanzō. Beyond the yoshinomaru were the homes of lower ranking samurai.
Beyond the asahimaru there was a bailey with a race ground for horses. More bukeyashiki, probably for more middle ranking retainers, occupied space between outer moats and canals to the west of the castle, beyond which was the rest of the castle town (districts for shops, temples, &c.).
The Ban'yū-yagura, located toward the northwestern limits of the citadel, is reconstructed and was originally surrounded by bukeyahsiki, occupying a defensive position between the river mouth, waterways, and the northern precincts of the castle.
Gallery
More Galleries and Feature Pages
(4 photos)
Castle Profile | |
---|---|
English Name | Kuwana Castle |
Japanese Name | 桑名城 |
Alternate Names | Ougi Castle |
Founder | Hionda Tadakatsu |
Year Founded | 1601 |
Castle Type | Flatland |
Castle Condition | No main keep but other buildings |
Designations | Prefectural Historic Site |
Historical Period | Edo Period |
Features | turrets, water moats, stone walls, castle town |
Visitor Information | |
Access | Kuwana Sta. (Kansai Line); 20 min walk |
Hours | open any time |
Time Required | 30 mins |
URL | Castle Website |
Location | Kuwana, Mie Prefecture |
Coordinates | 35.06463, 136.69872 |
|
|
Admin | |
Added to Jcastle | 2013 |
Contributor | RaymondW |
Admin Year Visited | Viewer Contributed |